Wednesday, November 5, 2008

We were disqualified for WIC

Yes you read it right, no more WIC because Chris makes $40-50 more then the qualification brackets. We have a child with HUGE medical needs, one that has cost us over Half a million dollars in medical bills, one that is going to cap our insurance by the time of her next surgery. But no, that doesn't matter one damn bit. All that matters is that we make that $40-50 more then what we should for a family of 5. To those of you who are thinking oh well, tough luck, well should I state the fact that I have worked since I was 14 years old and have put enough into the government to deserve getting WIC for my family, or at least my daughter. But no, now here we are, with no state help, paying either $29 a can ( a small one at that) for the powder formula or $10 a can for the premaid formula which only last us a day. WIC covered 25 cans of the premaid a month, that was $250 that we didn't have to pay, and we still bought more then that because she would run out. Even with me working we can't afford it.
I am literally sick to my stomach right now...I can't even begin to tell you. Right when I thought things were looking ok for us, the rug was pulled out from under my feet and now I am face down on the floor again, trying to tell myself it doesn't hurt that bad and to just brush it off and get back up again, but in all reality, it hurts like hell. To know that you cant provide for your family because of the financial burden of one of your children...it just hurts. There isn't anything else I ca say about it, all I can do is cry right now, and pray that some how, some way this will all work it's self out, and that we will some how be able to pay for all of this.

4 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

You have every right to be frustrated! We applied for WIC and were declined as well and can't get any assistance at all. It's crappy that we pay our taxes and work our tails off and when we NEED assistance... we get shut down!

Things will work out... somehow,someway... they always work themselves out.

Andrea

Unknown said...

I believe you can appeal the decision, especially since she is "special needs". Our insurance pays for Colin's formula. It's $540 every month. He's on Neocate Jr. That might be something to look into also. I hope you can get it straightened out.
Millie and Colin-HLHS

Avery said...

WHAT?! What the heck?! SOO frusterating.. I forget, did she not tolerate the similac? I wish I knew anything about that program to offer some advice, but I really don't. You should give Beth a call and ask her..she's so helpful with things like that..
I agree with Andrea, things always work themselves out, I know they will.. There's just so many frusterating kinks along the way..
So sorry for this latest kink.. you don't deserve this with all else you have going on.. hope everything else is going good..I'll give you a call in the next few days..
Avery

Evie's Story said...

We can relate! Im so sorry for your frustration. Just a question? Does she tolerate breastmilk? There is a milk share organization (www.milkshare.com) that screens donor milk and donates it for FREE. (kinda like a blood bank) You just have to pay shipping. Didnt know if perhaps it might be worth looking into.

May the Lord meet your every need!