Thursday, June 5, 2008

Lily's new heart troubles


Alright, so this is not the update I thought I would be putting out right now. Lily is doing ok for now, but we have to watch her heart closer then we were. No red flags as of right now, just yellow for caution. As I have mentioned before Lily has been breathing rapidly and turning dusky from time to time and now we know the reason behind it. Do forgive me if this seems a little hard to follow trying to process all the medical information and turn it into information that everyone can understand.


Lily's last surgery to fix her LVOTO and AS went well, her LVOTO is doing well for the time being but it is her AS that we are watching closely. For those who dont know what AS means it means Aortic Stenosis. This is where there is a narrowing in the arota at the bottom of it. Anywho, the last procedure to repair her AS went fine but when repairing it they had to cut part of her aortic valve at the bottom and then reatach it...hope you all are following me here... (I will include a picture of the docs drawing...humorus to see to say the least). When you reatach a valve you are atomatically cause scar tissue, or what they like to call greating(not sure if that is how you spell that) ...and scar tissue causes narrowing...which is bad...so...she has narrowing in a different spot now...I am hoping we can heart cath it but if I am thinking correctly that wont be an option. Its extra tissue not the walls them self narrowing...once again I hope that makes sense.


Ok the next problem here. I have been noticing Lily breathing rapidly and the blusish color from time to time. Well that would be a Mitral Valve that would be causing that probelm. In the left ventricle, the inlet valve is the mitral valve, which opens from the left atrium, and the outlet valve is the aortic valve, which opens into the aorta. Each valve consists of flaps (cusps or leaflets) that open and close like one-way swinging doors. Her valve is opening and closing to quickly which is not allowing the blood to build up in the Upper Left Chamber before it drops into the left atrium...hope your still following me here...the Upper left chamber is where the blood is disperesed for the lungs, so if it doesn't fill properly the blood cant go where it needs to go before it drops into the next chamber. So...how do you fix this you may ask? well that is where a Beta Blocker comes in....whats that you ask again...well from what I have read and what I have been told it helps with the arrhythmias, heart failure and a few other things....but shes on an arrhythmia a medicen already....boggling my mind over here...I guess her Amiodarone isnt doing what it needs to do...but then again it must be because she hasnt had a SVT (Supraventricular Tachycardia )supraventricular (atrial) tachycardia is a regular, fast (160 to 220 beats per minute) heart rate that begins and ends suddenly and originates in heart tissue other than that in the ventricles. Here is a link to explain it better then I can http://www.sjm.com/conditions/condition.aspx?name=Supraventricular+Tachycardia+(SVT).

Back to the beta blocker...this will help to slow her rythem down and help her blood thin a bit to allow for it to flow quicker into the chamber to give it the chance to fill before the valve opens into the next chamber....


Ok...my head is hurting now...lol...wouldn't yours after all that information? As of right now, Lily is fine, just on a watchful eye. The Cardiologist listened to me this time...YAY...hopefully they will continue to...last time they didnt and then Lily got critical....I wont let that happen again. Thank you for all your prayers! I will update after her next apt on the 25th or sooner if need be!

No comments: