Sunday, December 7, 2008

Home, snug as a bug in a rug!

A Quick Trip...or as we like to call it QT
Well here we are sitting in the ER at St.Joes, our home away from home. I guess Lily missed it more than we thought and didn't want to wait until Thursday to be back here. So she made and unexpected decline in her health and scared the ba-gee-bees out of mommy, so here we sit, awaiting a nurse from the PTICU to come down and start an IV on her. Oh yay! I hope you all caught my sarcasm in that OH YAY part, if you didn't, then you don't know me well enough. I wouldn't mind being a nurse except for the needles part, I am a little needle phobic, to say the least. I have gotten better though, over the last 9 almost 10 months, I can handle a lot more then I use to be able to. Anyways, I detoured from why we are here. Lily has been having a difficult time keeping herself warm, at first we thought nothing of it because we knew she was having valve issues, just as long as it didn't leave her hands and feet we were ok. Well the last couple days she hasn't been able to keep her whole body warm. This afternoon when she awoke from her nap she was freezing, and she was in pants and a shirt, with socks. I pulled her clothes off and looked at her body and it was splotchy in color. I called my best friend, I didn't want to over react and call the doctor's office first and it turned out to be nothing. So Miss Heather picked up her phone and I launched into the, what signs do I need to look for and how do I check certain things. As I explained that her whole body was cold except for her chest and she was having difficulties catching her breath, she asked me to push on her tummy with my finger to see how the color came back. When I did what she asked me to do, the color didn't come back, it took about 20 second until it returned and even then you could still see where my finger had been. She told me I needed to call her Cardiologist as soon as I could, so I hung up with her and gave the good ole' Heart and Lung Institute a call. No more than 10 min later I received the phone call back from the doctors, we went over all of her vitals I was able to take at home and then I told her of the situation of the fast breathing and the cold extremities. I was told to take her into the ER to be checked out to make sure that we didn't need to admit her sooner rather than later. So here we are, sitting, and waiting, go figure, she looks great from what the doctor said. Surprise, surprise… I hope you caught that sarcasm, most don't miss it.
So the cardiologist called AND…… they are sending us home, yay a quick pit stop and then back home, only to come back tomorrow again, and then to go home and then come back on Thursday…can you say a game of cat and mouse? Let's chase our tail? Ring around the rosy? That's Lily for you, no shocker there. Her blood pressure is a little low but everything else seemed fine. Her temperature is normal for now, they told us to keep her wrapped up and put her in the bath if it seems to help, which is seemed to. They told us…"See you tomorrow for Pre-testing." Joy oh joy, what a waste of time, granted I am glad that it wasn't anything serious, I hope I haven't come off as I wanted something to be wrong with her, because that is the last thing I want. I don't want her to have to go through any of this, I hate sitting here being able to do nothing except for waiting, watching, and seeing. The feeling of total and utter helplessness, a feeling no parent ever wants to feel. So…. With all that being said, I will call it a wrap and post tomorrow after all the lab work and x-rays have been done. We have to be there at 2pm, and in all honesty I have no idea how long it all will take, but we are SUPPOSE to come home….keep your fingers crossed.
Jenna

1 comment:

Avery said...

Don't you love those days? Start out with total panic as you try and use your best instincs to determine if something is REALLY wrong. Do I go to the ER and put her thorugh all that? Or will it just pass? I hate those days!! And then it all turns out okay, which is good, but you wish you never put them through that in the first place... So glad she's okay, but seems like she just really needs this surgery, which will hopefully make it a little easier for you, if that's possible..:)
Hoping you get to go home for some good time together..
You know I'll be checking hourly for your updates..praying for your princess..
Avery and Bela